This seminar is an introduction to syntax within the framework of generative grammar. The emphasis is on the description, analysis, and argumentation.Students will:
- become familiar with fundamental concepts of English syntax
- develop the ability to think and reason about syntactic theory and analysis through hands-on work
- describe how English sentences are constructed and develop the skills necessary to analyze sentence structure.
- Budai, László. (2001). Gramatica Engleză: Teorie şi exerciţii.Bucureşti: Teora.
- Foley, Mark and Diane Hall (2003). Advanced Learner’s Grammar: A self-study reference and practice book with answers. Longman.
- Greenbaum, Sidney (1996) Oxford English Grammar. Oxford University Press
- O’Grady, W. And Michael Dobrovolsky (1993). Contemporary Linguistics: An Inroduction. 2. ed.New York: St.Martin’s Press.
- Parker, F. and K. Riley. (2005) Linguistics for Non-Linguists:A Primer with Exercises 4.ed.Boston:Pearson.
- Quirk R. et al. (1972). A Grammar of Contemporary English. Longman.
- Radford, Andrew. (2009) An Introduction to English Sentence Structure. Cambridge University Press.
- Popa Ecaterina. (1997). Elemente de sintaxa engleza, Ed. Presa Universitara, Cluj.
- Suciu, Giulia. (2006). Funglish: English Syntax Through Exercises. The Complex Sentence. Editura Universităţii din Oradea.
- Suciu Giulia. (2006). Funglish. Have fun with English Syntax. The Simple Sentence. Editura Universitatii Oradea.